Directions of scientific research:
- Production of uranium hexafluoride, fluorinating agents – fluorine and hydrogen fluoride, their use in the processes of obtaining fluorides and materials for various purposes based on them.
- Study of refining processes for processing various types of uranium-containing raw materials to oxides and uranium tetrafluoride.
- Conversion of depleted uranium hexafluoride (DUHF) with its conversion into a form suitable for long-term storage and return of fluorine and its compounds to a closed sublimate-separation cycle; hydrolysis-extraction and extraction technologies for the production of uranium dioxide powders of a ceramic grade of nuclear purity.
- Technologies for obtaining nanopowders of oxide compositions of complex chemical composition for piezoceramics and solid fuel elements with a homogeneous distribution of modifying elements;
- Study of pyrometallurgical processes using vacuum induction furnaces with a “cold” crucible.
- Development of new technologies for producing metals and alloys, including metallic nuclear fuel;
- Obtaining cermets from oxides of depleted uranium and stainless steel in relation to the manufacture of multi-purpose containers for the storage, transportation and disposal of irradiated nuclear fuel (SNF) and radioactive waste (RW).
On the basis of research carried out in the department, technologies have been developed for producing anhydrous hydrogen fluoride, elemental fluorine, uranium hexa- and tetrafluoride, ceramic-grade uranium dioxide powders, uranium-based alloys and cermets of various enrichment levels, which are successfully operated at nuclear industry enterprises. The developments of the department for the production of high-purity refractory metals, homogeneous alloys based on them using vacuum induction furnaces with cold crucibles have found application in industry; technologies for the conversion of DUHF to tetrafluoride and depleted uranium oxides; plasma methods for obtaining powders of oxides of various metals.
The department has enlarged laboratory and pilot facilities for research and development of pilot batches of samples during high-temperature processing of DUHF, for pyrometallurgical processes using vacuum induction furnaces with a cold crucible, for testing technological modes for obtaining powders of various chemical composition, for studying physical methods of influencing a substance and chemical process (plasma, microwave field, mechanochemistry). There is a pilot plant for the production and compression of fluorine, a plant for the solid-phase synthesis of metal phthalocyanines, pressing and furnace equipment for the manufacture of ceramics, as well as modern devices for studying powders and microsections of sintered ceramics.