Directions of scientific research:
- Development of technologies for obtaining structural materials for the nuclear industry: Zr, Nb, Hf, Ta, REM.
- Creation of a new chlorine-rectification technology for obtaining nuclear-pure zirconium for the production of fuel rods and fuel systems.
- Development of a melt technology for obtaining metal powders of zirconium, hafnium, niobium, tantalum, etc. for the manufacture of alloys with increased strength and thermal stability used in fuel rods, propulsion systems for space and aviation technology.
- Obtaining nanosized metal powders of tantalum, niobium, zirconium, hafnium for high-capacity capacitors and special products.
- Development of rare metal halides purification technology by selective reduction method;
- Development of extraction technology for obtaining nuclear-pure zirconium.
- Development of a technology for obtaining pure hafnium for control systems for the protection of power and transport reactors, heat-resistant steels.
- Sulfate-extraction technology for the production of niobium and tantalum for superconductors, fuel pipes and capacitors.
- Chlorine technology for regeneration of Zr, Hf, Nb, Ti from production wastes of nuclear-pure zirconium and superconductors.
- Fundamentally extraction technology for obtaining high-purity gadolinium, dysprosium and erbium compounds used as burnable additives in nuclear fuel and reactor protection control systems.
- Technologies for the extraction of rare earth elements by various methods from different types of raw materials and their purification from the radioactive component.
- Technologies for the extraction separation of REE with the production of various compositions of REE concentrates and high-purity individual elements.
- Technologies for obtaining rare earth products: polishing powders, X-ray protective compositions.
- Technologies for obtaining nanostructured garnets based on rare earth materials of various compositions.
- Technologies for obtaining nanostructured oxides of individual rare earth elements, as well as nanosized oxides of other metals.
- Technology for obtaining high-purity fluorides and oxides with an impurity content of 0.1-1.0 ppm for new optical materials, leucosapphire and openwork foil for capacitors.
Based on the developments of the department, industrial technologies for processing concentrates were used for 30-40 years: zirconium (zirconium and hafnium), loparite (niobium, tantalum, rare earths, titanium), Cretaceous (uranium, rare earths, scandium, phosphorus), zirconium production was launched Zirconium State Research and Production Enterprise (Ukraine), technically and technologically re-equipped zirconium production at CMP.
The department has integrated installations for pyrometallurgical opening, chlorination, rectification, extraction, crystallization for research, development of technologies and production of pilot batches of pure and high-purity compounds of zirconium, hafnium, niobium, tantalum, rare earths, aluminum and other elements.